Monday 17 September 2007

Researching The Great War

At the moment I'm on a steep learning curve, researching military records for my Great Grandad. It's delving into the unknown for me, but with the help from the fab people at Rootschat I'm getting there. I've hear a lot of stories from my Grandad about how terrible the First World War was. My Great Grandad was in the trenches and was injured, loosing his best friend. I want to learn more about what it was like, and what those men, and my Great Grandad went through. I'm hoping to learn more about which regiment he was in and therefore where he was in the grand scheme of things, and find out what happened to him and his regiment.

First stop was The National Archives (TNA) where I found his Navy records. From there I think I have now located his Medal Cards. He served in the Durham Light Infantry, and looks like he rose quickly through the ranks from Private, to Acting Warrant Officer, and then to Seargent. I'm not sure if there was anything in between as the medal cards tell me he was a Private and Acting Warrant Officer, and a picture of him during the war tells me he was a Seargent.

I hope to learn more soon!

0 comments: