Saturday 23 June 2007

Chasing the McDonnell's - Part 1

OK My McDonnell's .........

Here is where I am at the moment......

Peter McDonnell
Parents: Michael McDonnell & Add Mother
Birth: abt 1842
Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Death:


Elizabeth Ann Ayre
Parents: William Ayre & Mary Ann Teal
Birth: 1854
Sculcoates Hull Yorkshire
Death:

Marriage — 1874 in Sculcoates, Yorkshire, East Riding, England

Children

Mary Ann McDonnell F 1876 in Hull Yorkshire England
William McDonnell M 1880 in Hull Yorkshire England
Peter McDonnell M 1882 in Hull Yorkshire England
Edward McDonnell M 30 August 1883 in Myton, Kingston Upon Hull, Hull, England
Arthur McDonnell M 1885 in Hull Yorkshire England



Firstly lets look at Elizabeth Ann Ayre .....

My Great Grandfather Edward McDonnell b1883 in Myton, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire. His parents are listed on his b/cert as Peter McDonnell and Elizabeth Ann Ayre.

I could only find a marriage for Peter McDonnell and Ann Ayre.

I just ordered that marriage certificate and it does say Ann on it (no middle name)

On tracing the family on the censuses it looks like she did use Ann in 1881 and Elizabeth in 1891.

I can find a birth which fits in with Elizabeth...Name: Elizabeth Ann Ayre
Birth: Jun 1854 - Sculcoates, Yorkshire - East Riding. This fits in with the cesnuses birth year wise.

The marriage in Sculcoates in 1874 lists Peter as a Merchant Seaman, and birth cert for Edward lists him as a Dock Labourer.

On the 1861 census I can find an Elizabeth Ann with her parents, father William is listed as an Oil Miller, which is the same occupation as listed on the marriage certificate for Ann & Peter.

I am pretty sure Ann of the marriage certificate is actually Elizabeth Ann of Edwards birth certificate and she just dropped the Elizabeth to get married?

I have chatted about this with the peeps on Rootschat and looking at all the information it looks like they are one and the same.

Now I have a problem with Peter McDonnell. Although I can find him on two censuses, 1881 and 1891 with the family I can't find any record of a birth for Peter McDonnell in 1840-1842 (as indicated by these censuses). I have searched through from 1837 to about 1847 and have also used
Yorkshire BMD .

Nowt, nada, nothing !!!!!!

I have found a Michael McDonnell born in Leeds Town in 1841, I wonder if this may be Peter ??? His wife had a habit of using different names, I wonder if maybe Peter did also ???

The family of Michael b1841 I have found I think on the 1841 census ........

Name: Michael McDonnela
Age: 6 Mo
Estimated birth year: abt 1840
Gender: Male
Where born: Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Leeds Town
Hundred: Leeds Borough
County/Island: Yorkshire
Country: England

Registration district: Leeds
Sub-registration district: Leeds North

John McDonnela 7
Michael McDonnela 30
Michael McDonnela 6 Mo
Sebby McDonnela 30


It is transcribed as McDonnela, but the census clearly says McDonnel.

Occupation of father = Labourer - fits but not an unusual occupation. Father is listed as born in Ireland.

Mother Sebby born in Leeds 1811.

What could Sebby be short for ?? or is that a full name ??

I am having a little think and coming back to the elusive McDonnells later :o)

S xxx xox

0 comments: