Monday 17 December 2007

William Murrell - Good News/Bad News

Well, many thanks to the fab information from the Sunderland rootsweb mailing list, I now know that a Beer House Keeper was someone licensed to sell beer from their living room!! (or kitchen, or wherever LOL) Their house. I have also learned that after the introduction of the 1869 Wine and Beerhouse Act, that you had to apply to the Justices for a license in order to run a beer house.

The bad news..........

After being given the details for the Tyne and Wear Archive Services and giving them a call, I have found that the licensing records from Sunderland appear not to have survived!!!

Enter plan B........

I have ordered the birth certificate of William Murrell b1899 to see if William Murrell b1872 has a different occupation by this time. *crosses fingers* lets hope he was doing something more traceable by then LOL

If that doesn't bring anything up, then I'm not sure where I'll go from there :o(

But I'm not ready to give up just yet!!!!

*formulates plan C whilst waiting for the certificate to arrive*

0 comments: