Sunday 18 January 2009

1911 UK Census

How exciting!!!!! It's now available online although not all counties are there yet, and unfortunately the two I am wating for most are Durham and Yorkshire (East Ridings) and are not yet completed and released, so I'm checking on (what feels like) an hourly rate waiting for them to come online!!

It's quite expensive at the moment as it's on pay per view credits so I've tried to limit myself to the ones I really want to see!

In Yorkshire I'm waiting to see where my Grandad was in 1911, he would have been about 1, my great grandad in Sunderland should be there too and I am interested to find out where he was living as his mother had died in childbirth in 1906. I'm also interested to see where his father was, and whether he was still living with his children at then, as at some point after his wife died the childrens went to live with their grandparents.

I'm also looking to find my great grandma, also in Sunderland, I've had a real nightmare tracing her on the 1901, she's not to be found anywhere!!!

I've had some luck with the Boyd's in Croydon and have found great grandad Boyd with his step sister and her husband, also another step sister appears to have been visiting! Looks like Aunty Edie had just got married to Harry William Bailey (or maybe William Harry as he lists himself as Harry then signs the form WH Bailey) Anyway Gr Grandad Boyd was 18, and a shop assistant to a Tailor. Not sure where to go next with the Boyds as they are a bit of a mess around the late 1800's early 1900's.

Gr Grandad Boyd's father was Silas, who didn't appear with him on the 1901 census. Gr Grandad Boyd is there with his mother Elizabeth and two step sisters, who are listed as hers. Tracing the step sisters back on previous censuses there were two further brothers and the father Alfred was amrried to an Elizabeth, although I am really not sure that the two Elizabeths are the same - other than the fact Gr Grandad Boyd's birth certificate says his mother was a Bowyer, late Wilson (now Boyd) I can't find any of the marriages for them!! One to look over when I get a bit of time, it was one of the first branches added to my tree so maybe I need to go back thru and check it all out!

Anyway, mid month new years resoloution is to update the blog more!! Thanks to all who have visited, and for all the emails!

0 comments: