Saturday 24 January 2009

Granny Dixon - Pitts Terrace



Following on from my post the other day about the Crowle Street Kids (link on the left) website, I've uploaded the picture that started my journey to find this website. Granny Dixon, as noted on the back of the photo is, I am sure, Emma Grainge. Emma Grainge was born in about 1861 in Skirlaugh, Hornsea, Yorkshire, England. Her parents were John Grainge and Jane Short.

In 1882 Emma married John Thomas Dixon in Glanford Brigg, Lincolnshire.

Emma and John had four children John B Dixon, born abt 1883, Alice Dixon born 1884 Harry born abt 1887 and Edith born abt 1897.

On searching for more information on Pitts Terrace so I could find out more about the photo I came accross the Crowle Street Kids website and was surprised to find that Emma Dixon was living on Pitts Terrace at number 14 during the 1940's and 50's. She appears to have been living with her daughter Edith and her daughters husband William Rawson. Also living there was Edith and William's son Jeffrey Rawson.

Edith and William look to have married in 1920 and had four children, Ethel, Vera, Jeffery and Betty.

It appears the family lives in and around the area at the turn of the century with the Dixon's living at Crowle Avenue in 1901, my grandfather being born in Wilfreds Terrace, Raven Street, and my great grandparents giving their address as Crowle Street in 1905.

0 comments: