Friday 30 January 2009

McDonnell Update

Yesterday I received the death certificate for Sydney McDonnell who accidentally drowned in the River Humber in 1926 aged 7 :o( Sydney would have been my granddad's brother. His death certificate said he was the nephew and adopted son of Harry Dixon of 42 Lee Smith Street. Harry would have been Alice Dixon's brother and can be found on the Crowle Street Kids website (link in sidebar) living at 42 Lee Smith Street from 1935.

Harry is listed as living with a Sarah whom I assume was his wife I've narrowed it down to Sarah J LONGSTER in 1907 or Sarah A STOW in 1915 from Yorkshire BMD - I will have to await the 1911 census to confirm I think.

I've ordered Sydney's birth certificate as my records so far place Edward McDonnell in Australia in 1915 in the Australian Imperial Force. His papers suggest they were passed to the department of repatriation in about 1931/32. So far I've been unable to find Edward coming back to the UK, or Alice going out to Australia. Sydney's birth was registered in Q4 of 1918.

Using the Crowle Street Kids website I've managed to find a marriage for Edith Dixon, another of Alice's siblings, to a William Rawson in 1920, and I think four children Ethel, Vera, Jeffrey and Betty. Now hopefully soon I'll be able to put together Harry's marriage and find out who Sydney's adoptive mother was.

Last left on the list for Alice's siblings is John B Dixon born abt 1883.

0 comments: